Friday, November 8, 2013

Want to Try Something Exotic, Go Eat at Asian Taste 86

Asian Taste 86
81-20 Whitney Ave
Elmhurst NY 11373

From the name you might think this is your regular Chinese restaurant, but it's not. Most of the items on the menu are some of the more popular Indonesian dishes. In New York City there's a few Indonesian restaurants, but I choose the ones I go to by their menu. If they offer something my mom normally doesn't or can't cook then that's where I'll be eating.

I've eat at Asian Taste 86 only three times and I've only had two dishes from there. When you walk into the restaurant it's really small. It only has about five to six tables, but when it gets packed there's also a downstairs area. All the waitresses can speak both Indonesian and English so it kind of reminds you of being in Indonesia.

The first two times I ate there I had the salty fish fried rice (Nasi Goreng Ikan Asin). It was the best fried rice I've ever had. They put noodles in their fried rice. Now that might sound a little weird, but a lot of Asians eat rice with noodles. When you put these two items together even better. Also the noodles are cut up into small pieces so it's not throwing off the rice. My mom has also tried making fried rice with noodles and she was surprised herself that it came out good. If I'm not mistaken the noodles they used in their fried rice were egg noodles. You can also let them know how spicy you want your food to be. I've tried both the mild and medium fried rice and the medium was really spicy. Now I know that when I got there to get everything mild.

The last time I went I got the smashed friend chicken with coconut rice. I got the sauce on the side and I was happy I did because it was very spicy. It's called the smashed fried chicken because you get a 1/4 of a chicken and they flatten it out as much as they can. The skin of the chicken was perfect and it was crunchy too, just the right amount of crunch to it. Then to drink I got the Thai Ice Tea which is a favorite among the family. The tea is not overly sweet even though they use condense milk in it. If you like bubble tea this Thai Ice Tea is very similar to it. You can also order the drink with the tapioca bubbles. Although I've never had it like that since I like to drink this during my meal. The only time I drink it with the tapioca bubbles is when I'm drinking it by itself.

Overall if you're looking for good quality exotic food Asian Taste 86 is a place you should consider. Awesome food and great prices, that alone should make you go and try it out.

Smashed Fried Chicken and Coconut Rice

Thai Ice Tea

No comments:

Post a Comment